How to Verify Your Google Business Listing
Want to learn how to verify your Google My Business listing? You’re in the right place!
Welcome to another installment of the ongoing Google My Business series!
In part 1, we reviewed how to create and optimize your Google My Business account.
Google My Business is basically the local listing for your small business. This listing is how a lot of businesses attract new customers for free.
However, in order to manage the listing, Google needed to send a postcard to our business to verify it.
We’ve received our postcard in the mail, and we are back to show you the next steps to take in order to verify your Google My Business listing!
In this week’s blog, learn how to verify your Google My Business listing.
Want more of the Google My Business series? The topics we have covered are:
- How to Add a New User to Google My Business Account
- What is Google My Business
- How to Create a Google My Business Account
- Google My Business – Local SEO Updates – Summer 2019
Getting Your Verification Code
It is important that you take the step of verifying your Google My Business listing after you create it.
In most cases, your small business will only have the option to receive this verification via a postcard in the mail. However, there are exceptions to this.
For example, certain business industries, like a service area business, can opt to verify their business via email, phone, or the Google Search Console.
We will be reviewing 2 of the most popular options: postcard and phone.
If a Postcard…
Step 1: Receive your postcard in the mail
You will receive your postcard in the mail for verification at your business’ address. Google says that this will take up to 14 days.
Step 2: Open the postcard to view your code
The postcard will include a verification pin unique to your business.
If a Phone Call…
Step 1: Receive your automated phone message
Google will call your business’ phone number. When you receive your automated phone call, be sure to answer right away.
Step 2: Write down your code
Write down the verification code that will be used to verify your business’ account.
Verifying Your Google My Business Account
Step 1: Log in to your Google My Business account
- Use the same login credentials that you used to create your Google My Business Account.
- Go to https://www.google.com/business/
- Select “Sign in” in the upper right-hand corner
- Choose the account you would like the verify from the home screen
Step 2: Verify your account
- Locate the “Enter verification code” text to enter the code
- On the next screen, enter the code in the box that states “Enter Code”
- Click the blue “Verify” button to verify the code
Step 3: Begin managing your listing
Once the code is submitted, you will be redirected to the dashboard of your Google My Business account.
Notice that there is no longer a “Pending Verification” notice on your account.
To continue optimizing and begin managing your business’ listing…
- Navigate to “Info” in the navigation menu
- This will take you to your business’ information page. To optimize, fill out as much information as possible on this page including:
- Add Hours – add your business’ hours of operation.
- Add Appointment URL – if there is a specific webpage that your business uses to book online appointments, place that here.
- Services – Add or edit any services that your business offers.
- Products – Add or edit any products that your business offers.
- Attributes. These are things specific to your business. For example, if your business offers wifi, outdoor seating, or catering, this is the place to list it.
- Add Business Description. This will give potential customers more information about your business.
- Insert an Opening Date. Add the date your business opened.
- Upload Photos. Add any photos of your business to your account.
We will be receiving these categories in-depth in the next video of the series.
Now your business is officially verified!
Have you enjoyed the Google My Business series so far? Let us know in the comments if this has been helpful for your business.